Company History


Davidson Well Drilling Limited has experienced steady growth since it's beginnings in 1900. The company was founded in Wingham, Ontario in late 1899 by William H. Davidson and William Currie. Davidson purchased control of the company the following year.

The first drilling rigs used by Davidson were of wood construction, cable tool rigs manufactured by the Keystone Company. These rigs were powered by steam traction engines. Horse-drawn wagons were used to transport men and materials to the drilling sites.


In 1936, Davidson purchased their first steel-constructed, gasoline powered cable tool rig. This rig was a Stardrill-Keystone Model 70. Between 1941 and 1961, Davidson purchased several more cable tool rigs manufactured by companies such as Stardrill-Keystone, Speedstar and Bucyrus-Erie. In 1964, Davidson purchased their first rotary rig. This rig was a Bucyrus-Erie Model 10R combination mud-air rig. In 1971, a second rotary rig was purchased. This was an Ingersol Rand 36-R.


Davidson has grown substantially and presently operates eight specialized drilling rigs. They maintain a fleet of over 30 vehicles including water tankers, flat-beds, crane trucks, service vehicles, grouting units, and trailers.

In response to the ever increasing demand for well construction services in and around the Waterloo Region, Davidson opened a second office in the Woolrich township just outside of Waterloo in 1983. A sister company, Davidson Environmental was formed in 1990.







Copyright 2008 Davidson Drilling Limited